Today, Livia tasted her first homemade hot chocolate and she loved it! I made myself a chai-inspired spice mix the other night and it turned out to be the perfection addition to hot chocolate. I just made sure not to put any chili flakes in Livia's hot chocolate because it would have been too spicy for her.
Here's my little recipe, totally improvised, on the spot, because I was craving a spiced hot chocolate!
Spiced Hot Chocolatefor about 2 portions:
-1 cup of milk
-1 cup of almond milk (mine was vanilla flavored)
-1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
-2 tablespoons of cacao powder
-1 tablespoon of sugar
Chai-inspired spice mix:
-1 teaspoon of cinnamon
-1/2 teaspoon of cardamom
-1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
-1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
-a few chili flakes (to taste/ optional if you don't want your hot chocolate to be too spicy)
1. In a saucepan, on the stove, mix the milk, almond milk, vanilla extract & sugar together.
2. Bring to a boil, then add the cacao powder & spice mix.
3. Make sure everything is well mixed to avoid any clumps.
4. Lower the temperature & simmer for a few minutes.
5. Pour in a mug, on top of marshmallows (mine were store bought but homemade marshmallows are even better!)
How do you like your hot chocolate?