My blog has moved!'

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, please visit
www.cutifulbaby.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

DIY Nursing scarf

When I had Livia, I used a nursing cover from Bebe au lait, which turned out to be pretty useful. But since it's all pink & flowery... I decided to try something new with Logan. I came across these nursing infinity scarves on Pinterest & on Etsy and thought the idea was pure genius! A fashion accessory that doubles as a nursing cover whenever needed... How cool is that?!?!

This model from Stella Bellas Designs can be found on Etsy

So here's a quick DIY post if you'd like to make yourself a nursing scarf... just did mine this morning, it was pretty quick & easy! ;)


First of all, you'll need:
  • Cotton jersey fabric ( 1 or 2 colors, solid or printed, as you please!)
      If  you'd like to customize your scarf by printing your own fabric, you'll also need:
  • Stamp or stencil (ready-made or handmade like mine)
  • Fabric paint ( I used Pébéo Setacolor paint)
 Then you'll have  to cut yourself 2 rectangles of jersey fabric, following below measurements:

If you are printing your own fabric, now's the time to do it. I randomly stamped some arrows here & there on my navy jersey using white fabric paint & my handmade (carved rubber) stamp. Setacolor paint is easy to use, the thickness of the paint is just perfect. Once the paint is dry, all you have to do is fix the color using an iron. Colors will then be resistant to washing! :)

 Once your 2 rectangles of fabric are ready, simply assemble them (right face of both fabrics facing each other) using an overlock machine. I assembled the longer sides first (60 in), then I was able to turn my scarf inside out, fold it in half and assemble the shorter sides last. That's it! Easy peasy, right?

So here's the result!!!

 OK, please bear with me...the lighting in my powder room is REALLY bad & yellowish... and I have absolutely no talent what-soever when it comes to taking pictures of myself... but I thought you ought to see what it looked like when worn...not only folded on my kitchen table! ;)


Of course, right now, there wouldn't be enough space under this cover for my belly AND a baby...but once the belly will be empty, the measurements should be just fine! ;)

If any of you decide to give it a try, keep me posted! I'd love to see some pictures of your creations! ;)

Have a lovely day!


4 comments:

  1. Looks great! Would one yard of fabric be enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele!

      Since a yard of fabric is about 36" and the total circumference of the scarf is 60" (this is the circumference suggested, it can be adjusted according to the figure of the person wearing it!)I'd say you would need 2 yards! :)

      Delete
  2. Would you be able to use any fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally prefer stretch jersey knit, but I guess it could be done with a woven fabric (especially if there's a bit of spandex in it!)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...